Back to Blog
My clients often ask me, how can I take the version of me I am when I am on vacation with me everywhere I go... when I am back at home?
You may have wondered this too?
You know - that person you are when you are away who is just more relaxed ande patient, more able to go with the flow and take every day as it comes.
And it got me thinking while I've been away on my summer holiday - how can we embrace that post-vacation glow more often without having to book a trip?
At home we're always so much more uptight and anxious as our mind goes a million miles an hour, thinking and on overdrive. I know you're probably spending your days battling stress and complexities like ninja!
I want you to know that the difference between daily life you, and holiday you, is actually really simple.
It's embracing being fully present.
When you're away from home, you keep things very simple. On vacation all you have to organise or worry about is 3 key things:
1) What to eat
2) What to wear
3) What activity you're doing that day!
This means, we have a limited number of decisions we have to make every day. This in itself helps to keep your mind calm and clear. There are only so many clothes in our suitcase to choose from, only so many options of places to eat, or things to do and see wherever we've travelled to.
You're not multi-tasking, you're not rushing to deadlines, feeling pressure to have everthing done, or stressing about all the things (all the things!) - like you are at home in our working life.
Plus, when you're away you're having amazing new experiences! You're connecting with people, doing things that are fun, making memories and spending your days ENJOYING LIFE.
All of THIS helps you to be more present in every moment.
So, in order to bring that element of peace, calm & serenity back into your real life as yourself this:
>> Side note: This is why travel is in my top 5 highest values! This summer we spent 10 days in Lombok, Indonesia and it was by far one of the best summer breaks we've ever had.
Here's 10 ways you can start bringing more of that holiday glow (being present!) IRL:
Becoming more present in our daily life, has been scientifically proven as the way to help feel more joy and happiness overall. Choose one or two of these ideas to help get you started.
1) Peel back the layers of busy - where can you keep life more simple?
2) Less multi-tasking - focusing on one thing at a time means fewer decisions, which gives you less decision fatigue and more energy
3) More IRL connection - make time for social connection, AND when you're with someone BE with someone
4) Less screen time - phone, ipad, laptop, TV (all of the above will help immensely!)
5) Walks in nature and mindful movement - slow flow yoga, pilates etc great for the soul.
6) Breathwork and breathing exercises - helps to calm your nervous system and brings you back into the moment if your thoughts are busy
7) Journalling - helps to clear your mind of worry thoughts (you can start here)
8) Meditation - helps to train your mind to have more present moment awareness (or start here)
9) Start a mindful morning routine - helps to kick off your day with more positivity and less stress (check out the link below to my onine 7-day short course)
10) Live in the moment and have more fun! I know as a planner an organiser you love being 5 steps ahead ... but what if just ones this month you lived in the moment? Flew by the seat of your pants and did something super spontanious?!
By implementing these 10 practical ways to stay present when you're back home in real life, we can embrace that holiday glow all year round and experience a deeper connection with ourselves and others!
As we practice being more present IRL daily, we may discover new joy, inner peace and a greater appreciation for the precious gift of life. Start with small steps and always remember to be kind to yourself.
Here's to a more present and fullfilling day ahead!
Thrive Mindset Coach
About the Author: Janel Briggs is a NLP and Timeline Therapy Practitioner on a mission to support women across Australia and Singapore in healing their professional anxieties, insecurities and imposter syndrome to build unwavering confidence and self-belief. The goal is to level up your life and career by learning how to to live fearless and anxiety free! Connect with Janel on social media via Linkedin or Instagram.